I realized today that sometimes I actually have a decent reason for not wanting to talk about it. About how dark it is or how bad I feel.
Most of the time, I just end up feeling worse.
- I feel bad because what you said, trying so hard to help, just didn’t change how I feel a bit.
- I feel guilty because now you feel bad because I don’t feel better.
- I feel bad that I’m so resistant to your efforts.
- I feel bad that you wasted your time.
- and I really feel bad if I think what you said should make me feel better but it just doesn’t.
So now you feel worse and so do I. I’m screwed either way. At least if I keep my mouth shut there’s a chance you might not feel worse.